Beautiful weather, a cultural wonderland and world-class education is all on offer when studying in Australia. For international students, it comes with many benefits! We have interviewed our past student visa clients and provide the following questions and answers to help you choose Australia as your choice for international study.
What is the process for studying in Australia?
Courses available – English, Technical/Trades, Diploma’s, Bachelor/Master’s and PhDs
Can I work on a student visa?
Yes! Study and work part-time while your course is in session but guess what? It gets even better! You can work full time during your semester breaks and benefit from the generous wages provided. Even if you are an international student, you have the same rights of pay as an Australian citizen or Permanent resident of Australia.
What is the minimum wage?
The current Australian minimum wage for a person over 18 years of age is AUD$18.93 per hour. Casual employees in Australia also get at least a 25% casual loading. Meaning potential earnings of $23.65 per hour. On top of that, student visa holders working casually can earn an even higher percentage with extra loadings for work on a Sunday AND all Australian public holidays. You can earn between 1.5 – 2 times more than the base rate of pay!
How much will the student visa cost?
Courses can range but we can look at your budget and find the best choice for you. The current Visa Application charge paid to the government is $575 and additional costs if you have a spouse/partner or children.
Are there any other costs that I need to pay?
Yes, you will need to pay for:
- Health Insurance – known as Overseas Student Health Cover payable for you and any family members included in the application for the duration of your time in Australia
- Medical examinations for the visa application
What do I need to show in my application?
We will ensure you provide us with all the necessary information/documentation to ensure you:
- Meet the financial capacity requirements to support yourself and any accompanying family members that form part of your visa. This includes; accommodation, tuition fees and any other commitments.
- Your English language level – This will need to be assessed if English is not your first language.
- Financial, employment, personal and any other commitments you may have in your home country. The onus is on you to prove to the Department of Home Affairs of your study intentions and how it will help you in your home country.
- Student visa applicant’s have a requirement to prove they will be a genuine temporary entrant in the country. You will need to demonstrate your reasons for study and how they align with your future goals and aspirations in your career.
Will I have time to explore?
Definitely, your study sessions are a maximum of 20 face-to-face hours per week. Australia is known for its diverse cultures, landscapes and beaches. Even though you will need to dedicate some time for independent study, All major cities have excellent activities where you can enjoy daytrips/weekends that are very accessible through car/public transport. This includes:
- Explore the wildlife
- Beaches/snorkelling/water sports
- Bush/Rainforest/Mountains/Walking trails
- Camping with excellent (and in some places free) public facilities
So much to explore in one beautiful country. Choose Australia for your studies and an abundance of options for you to spread your wings and explore!
What if I want to stay longer after my studies?
Ask us and we will help you look at further options! A very popular transition after studying is going on a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485). Australia provides this visa option for international students studying in Australia. This visa allows you to take advantage of full-time work for 2 years post-study so that you are able to gain some industry experience. This will give you an undeniable edge and advantage when it comes to applying for future employment in your home country. International experience in a powerful economic nation like Australia will boost your career towards incredible work opportunities.
Start your migration journey as an International student in Australia today and we will guide you every step of the way!